WELCOME TO THE ARCHIVES

This site contains the archives of my travel blogs from 2010-2016.

I'm now blogging via Medium. For other life updates, including opportunities or requests to collaborate, visit my personal website.

.

.

.

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Are you gluten-free like me?

Oprah.com is now featuring a great article called Gluten-Free: Is it for me?, written by the daughter of the famed and beloved Dr. Oz.

I've done quite a bit of research on gluten, it's role in our diets, and the negative effects it can have for many people since I discovered my gluten intolerance about 8 months ago. This is by far one of the most readable, concise, and comprehensive articles that I've seen. "According to the Center for Celiac Disease at the University of Maryland, one in every 132 people in America has celiac disease, and nearly 15 times that number—up to 15 percent of the world's population, or one in seven people—have a non-celiac gluten intolerance" -- meaning that for most of us, one bagel won't be life threatening, but it may significantly affect our mood, weight, skin, digestion, frequency and intensity of headaches, stomachaches and sinus infections, and our overall quality of life.



Since completely cutting gluten out of my diet I have experienced a significantly higher level of energy, lost weight, and have been surprised at how much it affects my skin. I never knew that my chronic stomachaches were anything out of the ordinary! This simple change of lifestyle has benefited me so much that I'm eager to pass on the word, especially seeing as nearly 15% of us could be feeling so much better by just tweaking our diet a tiny bit! (And honestly, I haven't missed or craved anything since going gluten-free. Worried about not being able to enjoy desserts? Ice cream is a-okay! Frozen yogurt is even better!)

Companies everywhere are catching on to this little nugget of insight into the make-up of their consumer demographic, and they're responding overwhelmingly well. Most grocery stores have a gluten-free section now, and if you can't find a substitute for your favorite gluten-full food there, you're sure to find one online.
If you feel like you might have a slight intolerance to gluten, read the Oprah article, and try a gluten-free diet for just one week. That will be more than enough time to notice a difference if indeed you're slightly allergic.






Meanwhile, look at how easy it can be:


  • substitute brown rice pasta for regular pasta, rice cakes or 100% pure corn chips or soy crisps for regular chips, banana with peanut butter and jelly for a pb&j sandwich, most cheeses instead of gorgonzola and bleu cheese, rice crispies or corn flakes for other cereals, 100% pure corn bread for biscuits, buckwheat pancakes and waffles for any other types, lettuce wraps for tortilla wraps, and one of several brands of gluten-free granola bars for bready snacks.






Some of my favorite products:





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog content © 2015 Shirah Eden Foy. Powered by Blogger.